[14:01:37] [connected at Thu Jan 28 14:01:37 2021]
[14:01:37] [I have joined #xf-bod]
[14:02:49] <Lyude> Hi everyone! So for the agenda today we have: X.org/freedesktop.org domain status, requesting ledger data, XDC2020 invoices status, cloud hosting for freedesktop.org, XDC2021, XDC2022, HDMI 2.1, and elections.
[14:03:13] <Lyude> For x.org/freedesktop.org domain status, I've got an update from bentiss here:
[14:03:21] <Lyude> SPI initiated the transfer of xorg-foundation.org to gandi. Payment, transfer initialization, whois, authorization code verification by the registry, and email confirmation all validated. We're now currently waiting on the validation of the transfer by the former provider. Need to figure out the steps for the next domains that keithp has.
[14:04:01] <Lyude> Oh-almost forgot to mention, if I'm missing anything from the agenda feel free to let me know :)
[14:04:25] <tlwoerner> Lyude: i'd like to add gsoc
[14:04:52] <keithp>  o/
[14:04:52] <Lyude> tlwoerner: sure thing, added to the agenda
[14:05:24] <tlwoerner> Lyude: thanks
[14:05:25] <keithp> I'm watching the xorg-foundation domain transfer; will step in when that looks to have worked
[14:05:35] <Lyude> keithp: cool!
[14:06:44] <Lyude> So: for the cloud hosting, I've got another (larger) update from bentiss:
[14:06:51] <Lyude> As our cluster is ready, we'll be moving over to hosting on packet on Sunday February 7th. Benjamin will start transferring the git repos early next week (Feb 1st) which might lead to a gitlab with a little bit of lag for the first week of February. We should be able to migrate our dbs on the 7th, and then point the DNS entries to packet. The current cluster on GKE will not be teared
[14:06:53] <Lyude> down immediately, and will proxy the requests to packet, so this should give us some time for the DNS entries to refresh.
[14:06:55] <Lyude> As well, thanks to all of the migration, Benjamin managed to set up MinIO caching for the registry. The registry pulls from GCS PoV dropped dramatically from ~140GB on a busy day to ~10GB yesterday, and ~20GB today. We will need a little bit of time to sync up the cache, but this is transparent for users (if the data is not cached, it pulls it from GCS). In theory unless we hit 1.8TB
[14:06:57] <Lyude> of active registry pulls, we should not have any costs from GCS related to the registry. We back everything up on GCS but given that the uploads are free, and we cache everything on packet, the costs should drop to zero soon.
[14:06:59] <Lyude> There will be a couple of critical remaining services on GKE the week of Feb 8th: gitlab pages and artifact server. The gitlab pages will be migrated later. Ideally they'd like to use the new pages container and get rid of our omnibus install. This isn't super high priority as the costs for this aren't expected to be that big. As well the artifact servers should be a simple
[14:07:01] <Lyude> configuration change but we have to wait until after the migration of gitlab.fd.o to do it.
[14:07:40] <Lyude> For XDC2021 and XDC2022 updates, samuelig isn't here so I'll be posting their statuses here.
[14:07:55] <Lyude> XDC2021: mupuf is working on the website. He asked LPC people about the implementation of the sponsorbox, which is a modification of the website to include the sponsor logos in all the website.
[14:08:11] <Lyude> XDC2022: danvet and I have been gathering potential organizers info (contact email, location...) for both XDC EU and NA for future events. We will start sending emails about XDC 2022 organization soon. As mentioned in last meeting, if somebody knows a company that could be candidate to organize XDC, just contact me or danvet.
[14:08:24] <anholt> bentiss continues to be amazing
[14:08:36] <Lyude> Then finally, requesting ledger data: No updates on this, waiting until the next board meeting for SPI in February
[14:08:59] <hwentlan> @Lyude, is AMD Markham/Toronto on the potential XDC host list? If not I can work with you to add it
[14:09:24] <Lyude> hwentlan: lemme check, there's some docs for this in the bod-archive
[14:09:32] <Lyude> hwentlan: NA right
[14:09:37] <hwentlan> NA, yes
[14:10:07] <Lyude> yep-I see amd in toronto, canada there
[14:10:30] <hwentlan> awesome. thanks for checking
[14:10:55] <hwentlan> does that bring us to HDMI 2.1 and elections?
[14:10:56] <Lyude> Alright, that's all from my side. mdnavare, I'm not sure if you're here but feel free to say something when/if you're ready to do XDC2020 invoices updates
[14:11:09] <Lyude> hwentlan: yep-was just about to ask you to start on those two. whenever you're ready go ahead
[14:11:35] <hwentlan> so, for HDMI 2.1 I sent out a loooong proposed email to the HDMI forum?
[14:11:48] <hwentlan> would appreciate some review and feedback
[14:12:04] <hwentlan> hopefully we can gather some of that by next meeting before making a call to send this
[14:12:22] <Lyude> hwentlan: what's the subject? I don't feel like I saw anything about that
[14:12:24] <hwentlan> one question i had is whether we should make it an open letter to raise awareness of the details of this request
[14:12:34] <hwentlan> "Proposed email to HDMI Forum about HDMI 2.1"
[14:13:11] <Lyude> hwentlan: yeah, I don't see anything in my inbox
[14:13:50] <hwentlan> hmm... i sent it to board@foundation.x.org and don't see it in the moderation queue
[14:14:00] <hwentlan> did anyone else get it? i can try re-sending
[14:14:05] <Lyude> anholt: ^ ?
[14:14:12] <mdnavare> Lyude: Yes
[14:14:52] <mdnavare> Lyude: I did work with Intel management to open a Purchase Order and once that is approved Martin (SPI) can invoice Intel
[14:14:56] <anholt> Lyude: hmm?
[14:14:56] <mdnavare> and get the funds
[14:15:18] <hwentlan> anholt, mdnavare did my email with subject "Proposed email to HDMI Forum about HDMI 2.1" reach you?
[14:15:22] <Lyude> anholt: sorry-had poked to see if maybe you had gotten that email
[14:15:33] <anholt> not in my inbox
[14:15:39] <mdnavare> hwentlan: Yes I was just reading that
[14:15:45] <anholt> I had a question to the last hdmi email i saw that I never saw a reply to.
[14:16:21] <Lyude> hwentlan: yeah you should probably try resending then
[14:16:39] <Lyude> mdnavare: gotcha, thanks for the update
[14:16:53] <hwentlan> Lyude, will resend
[14:17:22] <hwentlan> anholt: feel free to ask your question here or in email
[14:18:03] <anholt> hwentlan: question was: we have no issue implementing DP in the open despite DP specs being closed, is there something about the new HDMI specs that precludes open source support?
[14:18:24] <Lyude> anholt: I mean-they're not really that closed, remember we can give folks specs access through Xorg
[14:18:56] <anholt> Lyude: the claim in hwentlan's email was "it seems that there is currently no way for drivers to
[14:18:56] <anholt> implement support for HDMI 2.1 features without getting into trouble with the HDMI Forum and/or Founders."
[14:19:02] <Lyude> (ahh
[14:19:20] <hwentlan> that's a very good question. my understanding is that the DP spec isn't public but doesn't forbid VESA members to talk about its details, whereas the HDMI has a confidentiality clause that prevents members from talking about the details of the spec
[14:19:43] <hwentlan> now, obviously that's very hand-wavy right now. let me see if i can get a bit more clarity on the details of that
[14:20:16] <Lyude> yeah-^ that would be a huge problem for projects like nouveau where I don't think anyone really has access to HDMI specifications, also that confidentiality clause seems pretty iffy for open drivers in general
[14:20:22] <Lyude> (note: I am not a lawyer)
[14:20:38] <hwentlan> yes, that's my understand from talking to various people within AMD
[14:21:50] <Lyude> (btw - we can move onto the next topic whenever you're ready)
[14:21:56] <hwentlan> as for elections, i noted down all remaining members for the elections committee for now
[14:22:21] <hwentlan> i'm still confirming with samuel whether he wants to re-run (i hope so). if for some reason he doesn't want to re-run i'll add him to the committee
[14:23:07] <hwentlan> once the committee is set up i'll need to set permissions for new member registration and ask people to renew their memberships
[14:23:52] <hwentlan> so not much concrete yet but hopefully by next meeting we got the ball rolling with new memberships and election schedule
[14:24:36] <mfilion> o/
[14:24:39] <mfilion> sorry I'm late
[14:24:45] <Lyude> mfilion: hi! np
[14:24:51] <mupuf> Anholt: I agree, bentis is freaking amazing!
[14:25:14] <Lyude> hwentlan: alright-sounds good to me. tlwoerner, whenever you're ready
[14:25:38] <tlwoerner> org applications to gsoc opens tomorrow, Jan 29 and closes Feb 19
[14:26:16] <tlwoerner> we have to decide whether or not we want to apply this year, keeping in mind the program is significantly different than in past years
[14:28:28] <Lyude> tlwoerner: is that all from your side?
[14:28:53] <mfilion> I'm curious to see how gsoc goes this year, now that they've cut the pay in half
[14:29:08] <tlwoerner> Lyude: yes, i was hoping there would be some discussion wrt whether x.org wants to apply this year
[14:29:16] <Lyude> oh whoops-of course lol
[14:29:37] <tlwoerner> mfilion: yes, they've cut the pay in half, but also drastically lowered the barriers to entry
[14:29:38] <Lyude> yeah-I'm still up for us applying if we can figure out what kind of projects we'd want to have, since iirc the amount of time that we have is going to be a lot less this year
[14:30:04] <tlwoerner> before a student had to be enrolled in university, now they'll take anyone who has done a coding camp
[14:30:18] <mfilion> tlwoerner hmm ok, interesting
[14:30:21] <tlwoerner> the projects are expected to be cut in half too
[14:30:39] <mfilion> outreachy on the other hand have the same pay as before (which is now twice as gsoc), but have trouble finding interns lol
[14:30:45] <tlwoerner> before projects were expected to require 350 hours of work from the student, now they expect 175 hours
[14:31:24] <tlwoerner> i'm not entirely sure the ramp-up to do a fd.o project is worth what we'll get for a 175hr project
[14:31:47] <mfilion> yeah that's not alot
[14:32:10] <Lyude> should we send an email out to the various xorg mailing lists to see if anyone's got any ideas for projects that might be able to fit within that timespan?
[14:32:18] <mfilion> do we do anything with outreachy?
[14:32:38] <tlwoerner> Lyude: okay, i can send an email
[14:32:57] <tlwoerner> mfilion: i don't know, i don't do anything with outreachy
[14:33:26] <Lyude> what kind of time does outreachy normally give for students?
[14:33:43] <tlwoerner> i'm guessing mesa-dev is probably the best list to send an email to?
[14:34:22] <tlwoerner> i'm not familiar with the details of outreachy
[14:35:19] <Lyude> tlwoerner: mesa-dev, xorg-devel, maybe some others - let me look at the list I used when I was asking about vesa stuff
[14:35:32] <tlwoerner> Lyude: okay, thanks
[14:35:34] <mfilion> I wonder if we should explore it as an option (outreachy) if we decide gsoc isn't worth it
[14:36:35] <Lyude> i definitely think we should imho
[14:37:57] <mfilion> I can reach out and ask for more information, Collabora has been sponsors for quite some time so have good contacts there
[14:38:05] <Lyude> mfilion: that would definitely be appreciated
[14:39:24] <mfilion> cool ok
[14:39:47] <Lyude> tlwoerner: I guess we should also have a discussion on email about whether it's worth to do this from x.org's side, we'll have to keep track of it to make sure it doesn't get forgotten about (I can try to help out with that)
[14:40:03] <Lyude> also, still trying to find that vesa email I sent
[14:40:08] <Lyude> it's no longer in my sent folder for some reason?
[14:40:30] <tlwoerner> Lyude: okay, i'll prepare an email
[14:40:42] <Lyude> thanks! I think that's it for the meeting then everyone, thanks for coming
[14:41:15] <tlwoerner> thank you
[14:45:42] <mfilion> Lyude I remember that vesa email, do you need me to find it and send it to you?
[14:46:05] <Lyude> mfilion: if you could just get the to: list you used (and PM it to tlwoerner ) that's be appreciated!
[14:46:19] <Lyude> actually I guess forward it to me as well so I have it for reference
[14:49:01] <mfilion> I just need to find it, it's not showing up with a subject line search
[14:56:32] <mfilion> only Vesa mentions I'm finding are about the git repo and a mention in the SPI Annual report but that's it
[15:30:29] <Lyude> weird. i see it on the threads archive
[15:30:38] <Lyude> which unfortunately doesn't have the To:

[15:36:49] [disconnected at Thu Jan 28 15:36:49 2021]