[15:01:38] [connected at Thu Oct  8 15:01:38 2020]
[15:01:38] [I have joined #xf-bod]
[15:02:32] <danvet> hi all
[15:02:45] <Lyude> Hi everyone! Our (hopefully complete) agenda for today is: X.org/freedesktop.org domain status, XDC2020 sponsors, Cloud hosting for freedesktop.org, XDC2019 sponsor invoicing, XDC2021?, requesting ledger data, and self hosting indico website
[15:03:19] <tlwoerner> Lyude: gsoc
[15:03:28] <Lyude> I can start with the first one: unfortunately I dropped the ball on the SPI meeting and somehow completely missed it, there's another meeting on 12 which i have a lot of reminders on my phone set for now so hopefully we should get some answers on the domain status stuff, same goes for the ledger information since we haven't heard back about that yet
[15:03:30] <Lyude> tlwoerner: added
[15:03:30] <keithp> Lyude: could add a brief note about x.org hosting at MIT
[15:03:36] <Lyude> keithp: also added
[15:03:46] <mdnavare> Hi everyone
[15:04:21] <Lyude> hi mdnavare - would you like to go over the xdc2019 sponsor invoicing stuff/xdc2020 sponsors?
[15:04:50] <danvet> Lyude, the fd.o sponsor that mfilion was chasing?
[15:05:06] <Lyude> danvet: that was the other missing thing, thank you
[15:05:21] <danvet> I think we have a gitlab issue for that one though
[15:05:39] <Lyude> ah alright, I can just leave it out of the agenda for now then I assume
[15:05:44] <mdnavare> Lyude: Yes so I responded to ARM that we are in the process of treasurer handoff and will be sending them invoice soon and Andrew was okay with it as long as they get it before March 2021
[15:06:23] <mdnavare> Also got some reciepts from Radek from Intel that need to be deducted from the invoice sent to Intel
[15:06:58] <Lyude> mdnavare: is this re the 2019 invoice for intel?
[15:07:12] <mdnavare> anholt has added me to the bod/Finances and I am trying to set up the git crypt to read the templates so I can send an email to spi to get the invoices ready
[15:07:32] <mdnavare> Lyude: No this is actually re 2020 invoice for Intel
[15:07:37] <Lyude> mdnavare: gotcha
[15:08:05] <mdnavare> Lyude: 2019 the invoice was already sent by anholt and we need to poke Intel again for paying it
[15:08:44] <mdnavare> thats all I have, this week I will read through the treasurer templates and send email to request an invoice so i can get it out to ARM
[15:09:48] <Lyude> mdnavare: gotcha. thanks! samuelig, did we have any XDC2020 stuff to go over today? It was in the agenda from previous meetings, not sure if there's anything to discuss today
[15:10:05] <samuelig> yeah, a couple of things
[15:10:43] <samuelig> one was that XDC experience was flawless, I've been talking to several people and they were very happy with it. Even IRC was very active during the conference. kudos to organizers!
[15:11:09] * tlwoerner agrees
[15:11:26] <samuelig> the other is that I asked the organizers to upload a separate video of each talk, like we did in previous editions. They are going to work on that.
[15:12:32] <samuelig> we have documented it in the RFP for future editions + gather the blog posts from XDC 2020 organizers explaining the setup.
[15:13:03] <samuelig> XDC 2020 feedback is still open, don't forget to send yours! We would like to hear your opinion/suggestions to improve XDC!
[15:13:32] <samuelig> and also, a reminder that XDC 2021 request for proposals is still open, we are looking for organizers!
[15:13:57] <samuelig> Lyude, that's all :)
[15:14:21] <Lyude> samuelig: alright-quick question: when you say "we have documented it in the RFP for future editions" are you just saying you documented stuff regarding virtual conferences in general?
[15:14:42] <samuelig> Lyude,  we have https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
[15:15:07] <samuelig> there is a new section there called "Virtual conference", explaining our requirements
[15:15:38] <samuelig> + posts from organizers, namely -> https://blog.hiler.eu/xdc-2020/ and https://mupuf.org/blog/2020/09/28/3-ways-to-host-a-conference-using-jitsi/
[15:15:45] <Lyude> samuelig: ahh, cool :). that's all I was curious about, thanks! do we have anything that needs to be discussed re: XDC2021?
[15:16:13] <samuelig> XDC 2021, RFP is still open. Just remind people to submit their proposals!
[15:16:22] <danvet> samuelig, thx for your work in collecting all the xdc20 feedback!
[15:17:03] <danvet> hm should we start to informally poke people for 22 already?
[15:17:20] <danvet> with corona we got a bit out of the rhythm
[15:17:23] <samuelig> danvet, I would wait for 21 proposals yet, just in case I need to poke first for 21 xD
[15:17:35] <danvet> yeah but then right after I guess :-)
[15:17:43] <samuelig> danvet, yes, I have that in my todo
[15:18:21] <Lyude> samuelig: cool, thanks! I guess the next thing would be self hosting for the indico website. samuelig that's another one for you I think
[15:18:25] <Lyude> do we just need to do the vote?
[15:19:02] <danvet> my concern is still whether we have someone willing to do that
[15:19:15] <samuelig> Some months ago, we discussed in the mailing list about advantages and disavantages on self-hosting Indico. As a summary:
[15:19:19] <samuelig> Advantages -> we can edit sponsorbox and the metadata without asking others or requesting rights to the server. We don't depend on LWN.net, which means that there won't be any issue if they stop hosting it.
[15:19:25] <danvet> otherwise imo doesn't even need a vote, I don't expect this to have any financial or other consequences
[15:19:27] <samuelig> Disadvantanges -> it requires sysadmin time to install it and maintain it. LWN.net was hosting it for free and we had admin access to the website, simplifying our responsibilities.
[15:19:36] <danvet> like we don't vote for every fd.o domain change or project addition/removal :-)
[15:19:39] <samuelig> Suppossing we find sysadmin time to do the self-hosting, we need to vote if we want to self-host Indico in our servers.
[15:20:00] <danvet> I mean I'm happy to +1, just feels like formal overkill
[15:20:24] <samuelig> ok, I would like to have the support of the board before poking our sysadmins 
[15:20:26] <samuelig> about that.
[15:20:30] <Lyude> yeah-that makes sense danvet
[15:20:33] <danvet> in the hosting policy we've explicitly stated that fd.o admins can decide what they host
[15:20:41] <samuelig> if people likes current status quo, then I don't bother.
[15:21:08] <anholt> really don't think this needs board interaction, just talk to fd.o admins.  would be in favor of fdo hosting if they have capacity
[15:21:11] <danvet> samuelig, the one thing is that we need to poke guy for sponsor box and the emails are wrong for us?
[15:21:28] <danvet> and yeah I'm ok if they can set this up and it's not a pain
[15:21:31] <Lyude> yeah I'm fine that resolution, we can just agree to poke them about it and ask 
[15:21:36] <Lyude> no vote really needed
[15:21:45] <danvet> samuelig, maybe ask mupuf whether he's volunteering
[15:21:52] <samuelig> danvet, not only that, sometimes there is delay on that, logos could be wrong... metadata of the website says LPC and we cannot change that, similarly with emails, etc.
[15:22:00] <danvet> he made noises about helping out with fd.o stuff, and he cares about xdc
[15:22:17] <danvet> samuelig, yeah sounds good enough reasons to me
[15:22:33] <danvet> *helping out with fd.o admin stuff specifically
[15:22:44] <samuelig> ok, following then anholt and danvet suggestion, I'll talk to fd.o admins directly about that
[15:23:18] <samuelig> and mupuf in particular, just in case he wants to do it :)
[15:23:34] <Lyude> Cool, mfilion - any updates from cloud hosting stuff for fd.o
[15:23:36] <Lyude> ?
[15:23:44] <danvet> well mupuf isn't on board with fd.o admin yet, but this might motivate
[15:25:04] <samuelig> yeah, I know
[15:25:45] <Lyude> Not sure where mfilion, I think we can move on to the next agenda item for now. tlwoerner, do you want to go over GSoC/EVoC stuff?\
[15:25:53] <tlwoerner> okay
[15:26:01] <tlwoerner> next thursday (Oct 15) is the gsoc mentor summit which will be virtual this year
[15:26:09] <tlwoerner> so i'll be attending (for the first time)
[15:26:33] <tlwoerner> mfilion pointed out a per-org intiative to increase contributors happening this month
[15:26:48] <tlwoerner> it's a good idea, but i struggle to find the time to participate
[15:27:11] <tlwoerner> Lyude: that's all
[15:27:49] <Lyude> tlwoerner: cool! 
[15:29:03] <Lyude> so we've only got one other agenda item (other then the cloud update stuff), which is Hosting at MIT. This doesn't need much discussion, tl;dr we apparently used to have some infrastructure running in MIT's labs that recently stopped getting paid for. It doesn't look like there's really anything running on those systems, so someone's going to pick them up from MIT in the near future
[15:29:43] <danvet> recently = probably over 10 years ago
[15:29:51] <danvet> we lost contact a few years ago
[15:29:54] <Lyude> danvet: ah lol
[15:29:56] <danvet> now they pinged
[15:30:14] <danvet> egbert's mail has a really good recollection, at least matching the parts I remember
[15:30:23] <samuelig> Lyude, danvet do we need to update the "acknowledgements" part of https://www.x.org/wiki/
[15:30:25] <samuelig> ?
[15:30:35] <danvet> I guess we could remove MIT now
[15:30:46] <Lyude> samuelig: yeah we should probably do that
[15:31:27] <samuelig> Lyude, can you do that?
[15:31:35] <Lyude> samuelig: sure thing
[15:31:36] <keithp> The machines at MIT were donated by Sun and had been used for backup DNS and maybe backups; we never really had the ability to spread our sysadmin skills across two datacenters though
[15:31:56] <danvet> keithp, I thought members.x.org was running on that
[15:32:00] <danvet> before we moved it
[15:32:02] <keithp> oh, they were used to host x.org web sites as well, yeah
[15:32:19] <danvet> but yeah the big fd.o stuff never hosted there afaik
[15:32:26] <Lyude> anyway-that's pretty much it for the agenda items we have until mfilion shows up. We can wait a little while to see if they come back, if they don't we can just cut the meeting short today
[15:33:01] <keithp> we relied on physical access to recover from 'adventures', and hadn't really had any dedicated x.org members near enough to MIT
[15:39:55] <samuelig> Lyude, is the meeting over?
[15:40:07] <Lyude> samuelig: yeah, I'm not sure what happened to mfilion so we can end early
[15:40:13] <Lyude> Thanks for coming everyone!
[15:40:16] <samuelig> thanks!

[15:40:46] [disconnected at Thu Oct 8 15:40:46 2020]