[15:00:11] [connected at Thu Mar 12 15:00:11 2020]
[15:00:12] [I have joined #xf-bod]
[15:00:37] * Lyude is going to look into setting up a poke bot for sending reminders in the future
[15:01:38] <tlwoerner> hello
[15:01:40] <hwentlan> hi
[15:02:00] <danvet> bryce, only just now seen your reply on elections@ it was in spam
[15:02:08] <mdnavare> Hi everyone
[15:02:44] <Lyude> ok! so-agenda for Today, VESA status, XDC2019 sponsor invoicing, sponsored travel receipts for xdc2019, x.org/freedesktop.org domain, requesting ledger data from SPI, elections, cloud hosting for fdo.org, GSoC/EVoC, and the email we got from Liesbeth
[15:03:52] <hwentlan> do we need to talk about whether covid19 might have an impact on xdc?
[15:04:01] <Lyude> I'll start on VESA while everyone is coming in - I mentioned this before in the chat but I made progress on VESA thanks to sean paul helping me figure out why my emails were getting filtered as spam! And, I actually have obtained a watermarked copy of the DP 2.0 spec :)
[15:04:10] <Lyude> hwentlan: I guess that probably would also be a good idea, yeah
[15:04:45] <hwentlan> we might just need a decision point at this time
[15:04:55] <hwentlan> i.e. a data when we'd need to make a call
[15:05:10] <Lyude> mhm, yeah
[15:05:29] <Lyude> fwiw - samuelig won't be able to make it to this meeting, so I'm not sure if we'd want to make sure that they're around for that
[15:06:00] <Lyude> oh-one more thing to add to the agenda - xdc2020 sponsors
[15:06:15] <Lyude> danvet: any update on that + elections? ^
[15:06:18] <anholt> here now
[15:06:23] <Lyude> hey anholt 
[15:06:24] <danvet> Lyude, agenda += xdc20 sponsors
[15:06:44] <danvet> Lyude, we're in the nomination period now plus membership still can be renewed
[15:07:09] <danvet> we need a lot more of both still to keep the schedule, maybe good to put a reminder into the summary
[15:07:46] <danvet> hwentlan, would need to be local people to decide I think
[15:08:06] <danvet> since the thing is just rolling over .ch right now, this can change from day to day, drastically
[15:08:23] <hwentlan> for sure, but global travel restrictions (like in the US) might have an impact
[15:08:39] <danvet> well we have live webcast and stuff
[15:08:40] <hwentlan> october is still a long way, though
[15:09:06] <danvet> the thing is, the hallway track is going to be tough remote
[15:09:13] <hwentlan> exactly
[15:09:25] <hwentlan> but a virtual conference might be a good alternative
[15:09:25] <danvet> and yeah Oct is far
[15:09:30] <Lyude> mhm, I would hope october is far enough
[15:09:37] <keithp> I suspect we'll need to figure out when expenses that we can't back-out of are due
[15:09:45] <danvet> sure, if it still looks bleak when we get closer we need to get that set up
[15:10:12] <danvet> keithp, flights we sponsor probably
[15:10:21] <keithp> any venue-related costs
[15:10:30] <keithp> although those might already be sunk
[15:10:33] <danvet> yeah
[15:10:39] <danvet> and everything else is fairly short-term
[15:10:40] <hwentlan> since we're talking about it now (sorry, Lyude for deviating from the agenda)... it came up in regards to people asking "will our sponsorship money disappear without things to show for if the conference needs to be cancelled"
[15:10:56] <bryce> oh hey, sorry busy day here
[15:11:04] <Lyude> hwentlan: nah it's fine, the agenda is just here so we talk about important stuff anyway
[15:11:07] <Lyude> and this is quite important
[15:11:27] <danvet> hwentlan, I'd say if we cancel we get to pay back the sponsors
[15:11:28] <hwentlan> i'm not sure if it's making other sponsors hesitant to commit
[15:11:41] <danvet> should maybe make it clear that we might have to do this somewhat virtual
[15:11:48] <Lyude> I would hope maybe venues and such could make exceptions considering the unusual circumstances
[15:12:04] <danvet> Lyude, generally no for force majeur
[15:12:05] <keithp> Lyude: they have costs as well
[15:12:13] <danvet> everyone just eats that
[15:12:18] <danvet> (the costs)
[15:12:35] <Lyude> mhm
[15:12:45] <hwentlan> so, statement to sponsors is: we'll see and would first consider virtual. if it's cancelled we'll refund sponsors?
[15:12:52] <danvet> yeah
[15:12:58] <hwentlan> sgtm
[15:12:58] <Lyude> sgtm
[15:13:09] <danvet> I guess I can type an ammendment for the sponsorship policy for next meeting?
[15:13:11] <bryce> virtual conference makes a lot of sense, yeha
[15:13:13] <danvet> to make this totally official?
[15:13:21] <Lyude> danvet: yeah, that probably would be good
[15:13:38] <hwentlan> yeah, would be good to capture this so everyone gets the same statement
[15:14:09] <Lyude> also, should I make a gitlab issue for this after? (I will get ahead to making all of the other issues I meant to last week as well, stuff was hectic for a brief moment in time)
[15:14:26] <danvet> Lyude, we're officially using gitlab issues now?
[15:14:54] <Lyude> danvet: oh-right, we should probably run that by the board as well huh
[15:14:59] <danvet> :-)
[15:15:12] <keithp> refund some sponsorship if it's virtual?
[15:15:32] <hwentlan> that seems fair. 25% 50%?
[15:15:33] <keithp> most of our costs disappear without travel, after all
[15:15:47] <Lyude> so: one of the other things to add to the agenda (boy there's a lot today); me and danvet  had discussed using gitlab issues for tracking todo stuff on the boar f
[15:16:08] <Lyude> ...*board, e.g. basically just putting agenda items on gitlab
[15:16:12] <bryce> +1 to using gitlab issues for todo's
[15:16:15] <danvet> Lyude, maybe add that add the end since we have a bunch of things?
[15:16:30] <danvet> or we can just do that now :-) +1 from me
[15:16:31] <bryce> just not ci for todo's...  ;-)
[15:16:32] <hwentlan> +1 to gitlab issues
[15:17:28] <Lyude> danvet: yeah-probably should focus on the other stuff first (since it looks like other people might need a bit to repsond anyway)
[15:18:00] <Lyude> so-i guess next item on the agenda - requesting ledger data from SPI, still haven't heard anything from them but I can poke them again to check on status
[15:18:59] <danvet> Lyude, agenda += fd.o domain transfer
[15:19:06] <danvet> but maybe just put that into a gitlab issue :-)
[15:19:37] <Lyude> on Cloud hosting for x.org - (if others could chime in as well since I've been following like 75% of this) it seems like we've got in contact with OSAS and they're looking into sponsoring us from what I understand, and we're having bi-weekly meetings with gitlab now as well
[15:19:41] <tlwoerner> danvet: i gather SPI is all set to handle the money aspects of GSoC?
[15:19:51] <Lyude> danvet: I think I added the domain transfer stuff to the agenda already
[15:21:14] <mdnavare> Lyude: Sorry to interrupt but i got a lot of quetions here at Intel if kernel CI would go away if we dont get money to keep gitlabd running
[15:21:33] <anholt> kernel CI isn't on gitlab
[15:21:36] <bryce> Lyude, do you hav emore info on OSAS?  googling that returns a medical condition ;-)
[15:21:38] <Lyude> oh also - we were able to get benjamin from red hat as an admin, hooray, and it sounds like we've got one other person volunteering to help do admin work but I haven't followed that
[15:22:02] <bryce> or maybe https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/authors/open-source-and-standards-osas-team ?
[15:22:10] <danvet> tlwoerner, yup
[15:22:12] <Lyude> bryce: maybe I spelled that wrong
[15:22:23] <danvet> Lyude, ah yes, sry for the noise
[15:23:14] <Lyude> I think I got the name wrong, unless that was the OSAS we were talking about. I thought there was another group at google that we were talking with
[15:23:57] <Lyude> also - we are in talks with aws as well, figured I should mentipon that as well
[15:24:15] <Lyude> mdnavare: do you have any other questions about this from intel btw?
[15:24:17] <danvet> Lyude, not sure we should mention all the sponsors we're talking with before anything is made solid
[15:24:21] <bryce> ok, well I'm a definite +1 to sponsored hosting, but we do need to do some diligence on the provider before voting
[15:24:28] <Lyude> danvet: ah, got it, will keep that in mind
[15:24:49] <hwentlan> Lyude, do you mean Google OSPO?
[15:25:01] <Lyude> yes! that's it :)
[15:25:42] <Lyude> anyway-I'll move on to the next agenda item for the time being. keithp , any update on the fdo.org domain transfer?
[15:26:06] <mdnavare> Lyude: Nope that was the main concern about kernel CI, and issues that we track on gitlab if any of that might go away
[15:26:08] <keithp> Lyude: I haven't heard anything
[15:26:26] <Lyude> keithp: alright
[15:26:41] <Lyude> anholt: any sponsored travel receipts that need reimbursement?
[15:26:42] <danvet> Lyude, I think just a generic "we're in contact with a few potential sponsors for fd.o infrastructure" for the minutes
[15:26:51] <Lyude> danvet: gotcha
[15:27:04] <anholt> Lyude: all active ones are closed out.
[15:27:06] <anholt> as of this week
[15:27:12] <Lyude> oh awesome
[15:27:22] <Lyude> that happened quite suddenly it sounds like
[15:27:30] <danvet> otherwise companies might get even more jumpy if they can't follow through due to random internal nonsense, which just happens sometimes
[15:27:54] <danvet> anholt, thx for handling all this
[15:27:55] <anholt> travel sponsorship hasn't really been a mess.
[15:28:00] <anholt> it's arm and intel that are the disasters
[15:28:23] <danvet> mdnavare, ^^ did you hear anything about that? that would be something intel should be asking questions about ...
[15:28:24] <anholt> (I think I'm up to ~150 emails about them)
[15:28:29] <Lyude> ahh, I had thought we were having trouble getting in contact with students to get their receipts
[15:28:35] * danvet kicked some internal thread
[15:28:38] <danvet> but nothing thus far
[15:28:43] <mdnavare> anholt: I was asked by some managers if there is exact action Intel can take to make this easier
[15:28:53] <danvet> mdnavare, pay shit :-)
[15:28:54] <anholt> mdnavare: take out a credit card and give spi money.
[15:29:03] <Lyude> oh yeah, that's the next agenda item actually - xdc2019 sponsor invoicing, so it sounds like arm is also having trouble again and the money didn't get received by spi?
[15:29:06] <anholt> it's really not that complicated.
[15:29:21] <anholt> Lyude: arm at least tried again, but nothing happened.
[15:29:46] <Lyude> :s
[15:29:46] <mdnavare> anholt: danvet: I will respond to the email with Luis and Hillarie asking to change to SPI money
[15:30:18] <mdnavare> anholt: Do we have instructions somewhere on setting up SPI accounts and payment ust to help expedite this?
[15:30:24] <danvet> mdnavare, it's the normal vendor payment platform that doesn't work
[15:30:36] <danvet> hence the "take a credit card and just pay"
[15:30:42] <anholt> mdnavare: https://www.spi-inc.org/projects/x.org/
[15:31:10] <danvet> because the vendor payment thing we have at intel seems to just not work
[15:31:17] <anholt> danvet: you say that like there's just one!
[15:31:27] <danvet> oh sure there's a few per group
[15:31:39] <danvet> we switched groups, the new one seems total defunct
[15:31:41] <mdnavare> danvet: Okay so the summary is that we want Intel to use a corporate credit card for this payment to SPI?
[15:31:46] <anholt> (so, when you report that the payment system didn't send the invite link, the person supposed to do support says "well which one" and we reply and then nothing happens)
[15:32:12] <danvet> mdnavare, well if they can pay through some other way then that's good too
[15:32:22] <danvet> but credit card we know does work
[15:32:39] <danvet> and then the problem is entirely on intel's side
[15:33:27] <Lyude> alright, so - danvet, any updates on xdc 2020 sponsors?
[15:33:38] <danvet> I kicked up a pile of mails and contacts
[15:33:59] <danvet> need to follow up again I think, plus I guess now also clarify what happens when we have to go virtual/cancel
[15:34:35] <danvet> nothing else new yet
[15:34:48] <Lyude> Alright. tlwoerner, GSoC/EVoC?
[15:34:57] <tlwoerner> we're in the "gathering mentors" stage
[15:35:03] <tlwoerner> emails sent to wayland-dev, mesa-dev, dri-dev, and xorg-dev
[15:35:08] <tlwoerner> we have 4 mentors and 2 admins
[15:35:11] <tlwoerner> (so far)
[15:35:17] <tlwoerner> Rodrigo Siqueira has a lot of ideas and interest in doing gsoc for vkms, already has ~3 students who seem keen
[15:35:27] <tlwoerner> Adam Jackson has updated an item (driconf -> adriconf), added an item (docs cleanup), and says "more on the way" :-)
[15:35:35] <danvet> tlwoerner, do we need more drm mentors?
[15:35:43] <danvet> if there's a lot of interest there
[15:35:51] <danvet> aka do I need to volunteer
[15:36:02] <tlwoerner> i don't think we have any
[15:36:36] <tlwoerner> danvet: thanks, i'll send an invite
[15:37:14] <tlwoerner> danvet: done, please check your email for the invite
[15:37:24] <tlwoerner> emailed Sebastian about gsoc/evoc, he's only enrolled until March so technically doesn't have time to do either
[15:37:30] <tlwoerner> starting this monday (Mar 16) until the end of the month we will be in the "student application period"
[15:37:47] <tlwoerner> update: we have 5 mentors :-D
[15:38:06] <Lyude> oh-that was fast
[15:38:21] <Lyude> unless you had five mentors already
[15:38:35] * tlwoerner assumes danvet will accept the invite, lol
[15:38:48] <Lyude> ah-right :)
[15:38:58] <Lyude> tlwoerner: anything else?
[15:39:05] <tlwoerner> that's all for now, thanks
[15:39:14] <Lyude> np. last thing is uh, one email we got-
[15:39:26] <danvet> tlwoerner, I clicked that thing
[15:39:33] * danvet gullible like that
[15:39:38] <tlwoerner> danvet: thank you :-)
[15:40:01] <Lyude> 'Request for information concerning X.Org Foundation' is the email btw, I guess I'm just mostly wondering if we've done that in the past?
[15:40:10] * Lyude doesn't mind responding and handling that otherwise
[15:40:17] <anholt> nope, looks like spam.
[15:40:25] <Lyude> ah, that's what I figured it might be :)
[15:40:29] <danvet> yeah same reaction from me, contact fishing or something like that
[15:40:59] <Lyude> okie-no response for them then. I'll probably omit that from the minutes too since it's not really important... anyway, that's the meeting everyone
[15:41:01] <Lyude> thanks for coming 
[15:41:03] <hwentlan> normally i reject spam right away but this seemed to have some semblance of legitimacy
[15:41:08] <danvet> Lyude, gitlab issues?
[15:41:08] <hwentlan> apologies for the spam
[15:41:16] <Lyude> oh-right, soryr i forgot to put that on my checklist
[15:41:22] <Lyude> yes-gitlab issues are the last thing
[15:41:50] <danvet> my motivation for that is that I forgot the formal fd.o vote somewhere this Summer
[15:42:00] <Lyude> we already have a +1 from me, danvet bryce and hwentlan. so actually that should be passed
[15:42:05] <danvet> where we'd have formally grandfathered all then-current admins and stuff
[15:42:28] <Lyude> mhm, it'd be generally nice to have something to keep track of all of this stuff anyway
[15:42:28] <danvet> I think anholt's take would be good
[15:42:38] <Lyude> agreed, anholt you still around?
[15:42:45] <danvet> given that for sponsors I'd reassign a bunch of stuff to him for invoicing :-)
[15:42:51] <anholt> yeah
[15:43:00] <anholt> sorry, was looking at gitlab stuff
[15:43:29] <anholt> so what's the question?
[15:43:42] <Lyude> anholt: would you be OK with using gitlab to track general x.org org issues
[15:43:45] <anholt> yes, please.
[15:43:54] <Lyude> cool! :)
[15:44:14] <anholt> honestly, doing that instead of the sponsors txt stuff in git would be great.
[15:44:22] <danvet> anholt, yeah that's the idea
[15:44:23] <Lyude> mhm, agreed
[15:44:44] <Lyude> so that's passed then, and that's the actual end of the agenda :). Thanks for coming everyone!
[15:46:32] <danvet> Lyude, oh xdc20 website, but I think samuelig isn't around
[15:46:58] <Lyude> ah right, they did give me an update
[15:47:07] <Lyude> 14:17 <samuelig> XDC 2020 -> asked Jonathan Corbet to create the Indico website for the conference. Give to the organizers the XDC twitter account login details
[15:47:29] <Lyude> (I think this might be the biggest agenda we've ever had for a meeting that I've run)
[15:50:50] <bryce> thanks all, cya
[15:56:42] <tlwoerner> thanks!

[16:51:03] [disconnected at Thu Mar 12 16:51:03 2020]