[13:52:37] [connected at Thu Jan 16 13:52:37 2020]
[13:52:48] [I have joined #xf-bod]
[13:55:30] <mdnavare> mdnavare reporting
[13:55:37] <anholt> here
[13:57:12] <samuelig> hi!
[13:57:21] <Lyude> Hi everyone, so meeting agenda for today has a surprising amount of stuff (some of it we might need to skip depending on who's here): GSoC stuff from tlwoerner(?), VESA status, XDC2019 sponsor invoicing, small question about CoC training from me, XDC2020 sponsors, sponsored travel receipts for XDC2019, X.org/freedesktop.org domain status, requesting ledger data from SPI, elections, anti lgbtqa
[13:57:22] <Lyude> zones in Poland, and cloud hosting for freedesktop.org
[14:00:22] <Lyude> I'll start with some of my topics while we wait for people to join. VESA status: just sent a poke to the VESA board today, was going to do it last week but I ended up being sick the whole week and have been playing catchup this week, X.org/freedesktop.org domain status stuff I need to send pokes about, and I sent a message today to SPI to see if we can figure out why they weren't able to get us
[14:00:24] <Lyude> a data feed of the ledger
[14:01:52] <Lyude> anholt: want to go over status updates for treasurer stuff?
[14:02:07] <anholt> I was just doing a catch-up on that myself, can we hold off for 10 min?
[14:02:14] <Lyude> anholt: sure thing
[14:02:45] <Lyude> I think danvet mentioned that they weren't going to be here today, so we can hold off election discussion until next week
[14:03:47] <Lyude> tlwoerner: you around?
[14:06:06] <Lyude> also, who all is actually here today?
[14:06:46] <hwentlan> hi, sorry i'm a couple minutes late
[14:06:48] <Lyude> np
[14:07:27] <anholt> ok, I think I'm ready.
[14:08:09] <Lyude> anholt: floor's yours :)
[14:08:40] <anholt> ok.  corp sponsors for 2019 update is that collabora's all resolved.  liviu tried to kick arm process and nothing happened.  intel process is still utterly stalled
[14:09:07] <anholt> for travel sponsorships there's one outstanding that hasn't submitted.  there's one submit to review here.
[14:10:36] <Lyude> anholt: oh did we finally get some more invoices from students?
[14:10:39] <anholt> meghana initially requested of us $500, not counting loding.  we approved, but said "we usually cover lodging", but I don't see a clear approval of an amount
[14:12:08] <anholt> in the reimbursement request, the lodging covers significantly more days (7 days) saying it was to get cheaper airfare, but the airfare also came in over the estimate (490 out of 400)
[14:12:48] <anholt> so, we had an initial approval without lodign for $500, and the actual total is $1287.
[14:14:16] <Lyude> mhhh, guess we don't have much of a choice since they've already paid :s, did they get us receipts btw?
[14:14:27] <anholt> receipts are all included
[14:15:24] <mdnavare> Lyude: anholt: Do we have a rule where we approve lodging for particular number of days like days of conference plus 1 or 2  at at the max and we reimburse amount for those days rest they will have to bear it
[14:15:55] <anholt> I don't think so, but typical travel policies are day before and day after are covered.
[14:16:06] <Lyude> mdnavare: I might be misremembering but I thought we usually would have people cover extra days beyond the day before and after
[14:16:08] <anholt> this is 9/29-10/5
[14:16:12] <anholt> 9/28, sorry
[14:17:00] <Lyude> I don't think we have an official policy though
[14:17:04] <mdnavare> anholt: Lyude: Exactly and that makes sense , so we can reimburse for -1 day to +1 day from the reciepts for lodging
[14:17:31] <Lyude> mdnavare: I think that's fair to ask, yeah
[14:17:34] <bryce> heya
[14:17:36] <samuelig> Reading the policy we have this: "Extended stays to get a particular airfare that reduces the overall cost of the trip are acceptable. "
[14:18:31] <samuelig> but there is no explicit mention to the number of days
[14:19:01] <samuelig> For reference: https://www.x.org/wiki/XorgFoundation/Policies/Reimbursement/
[14:19:03] <anholt> there are also meal receipts for those extended stay days, and that feels unreasonable to me
[14:20:17] <samuelig> anholt, can you send a summary of the expenses to the board ML, so we can take a look and discuss it for next meeting?
[14:20:26] <Lyude> yeah, I think it might be reasonable for us to at least ask for them to cover the meals for those days, did they actually mention the original price for the more expensive flights when they made the request?
[14:20:29] <bryce> we do have an official travel policy, but just not for extra stay duration (iirc; it's been a while since I last reviewed it)
[14:20:30] <Lyude> also yeah that would probably be a good idea
[14:20:56] <anholt> didn't mention price for flights covering just the original days
[14:21:06] <bryce> but in general, cases not covered by the policy just need to go to the board for review and re-votes
[14:21:33] <mdnavare> anholt: Yes can you send the summary over to the board and we can vote in the next meeting
[14:21:38] <bryce> it would be good to amend the travel policy to cover things like this as they come up in practice
[14:21:54] <samuelig> bryce, good idea.
[14:22:00] <Lyude> sgtm
[14:22:43] <Lyude> Oh-also, since danvet is also here I realized we can probably skip the xdc 2020 sponsors item on the agenda and leave that for next meeting
[14:23:19] <bryce> on the particular of the number of days, I don't think I've seen a case where more than +1 day would result in an overall lower cost.  So if you want to specify a day limit, then '1 day, before *or* after' would seem a logical choice
[14:23:30] <anholt> in 2020 sponsor news, igalia's already paid for 2020
[14:24:19] <Lyude> hooray
[14:24:34] <mdnavare> bryce: I agree
[14:25:59] <Lyude> Alright, next item: and this sure is an item: anti-lgtbqa zones in Poland
[14:27:03] <bryce> it's good that was raised, I had no idea it was a problem, and hope there's a feasible solution.
[14:27:10] <Lyude> tl;dr: essentially, one of the Xorg members brought it to the attention of the board that apparently Poland has actually enacted anti-LGTBQA zones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT-free_zone
[14:27:24] <Lyude> bryce: yeah I'm honestly pretty surprised none of us had heard about this earlier
[14:28:30] <anholt> fwiw, it looks like gdansk is not one of the areas, by that map?
[14:28:36] <samuelig> I plan to contact the organizers to see if Gdanśk is one of those regions, Wikipedia indicates that it is not the case, but it is better to be sure. Once we have some information from them, we can discuss it in next meeting. 
[14:28:39] <Lyude> luckily it doesn't seem like Gdansk is in any of the zones, whatever that really means. Lauren brought up that we should probably make a public statement on this condeming discrimination, and also make sure that the venue organizers are on the same page + have a plan to deal with this + also make a statement
[14:28:48] <Lyude> samuelig: that is definitely a good idea
[14:29:10] <Lyude> I think we might be able to vote on making a statement for the time being if we think that's a good idea, iirc danvet and hwentlan already gave a +1 on it via email
[14:29:44] <hwentlan> yeah, sounds like this is local governments that enact these zones in rural poland
[14:30:24] <anholt> I'm +1 on the idea of a statement, would love it if someone drafted one.
[14:30:33] <hwentlan> but still think it's appropriate to make a statement about this. hope gdansk will be more open and welcoming to lgtbq people
[14:31:08] <samuelig> +1 on the statement as well.
[14:31:29] <mdnavare> anholt:  +1 on the statement, but would we in addition to that need to take any other security measurements for the atendees?
[14:31:29] <hwentlan> +1
[14:31:40] <hwentlan> any volunteers to draft one?
[14:32:04] <Lyude> hwentlan: yeah I can do that, getting more information from venue organizers would def help with that as well like samuelig said
[14:32:07] <hwentlan> might be good to check with the organizers regarding security and the climate in gdansk
[14:32:35] <bryce> +1 to statement, and consulting with the venue organizers, and having a plan to deal with issues that may arise
[14:33:07] <Lyude> mdnavare: I think we just need to make sure that it's actually safe to have the  conference there. I'd really love to avoid this option as well, but I also think that if the answer to whether or not it's safe isn't good we might need to consider emergency alt venues (...if that's even possible at this point?)
[14:33:25] <Lyude> again-really don't want to go down that route if we don't need to, but I felt the need to at least mention it
[14:33:50] <bryce> what month did we vote to select Poland?  I see this law change only took effect recently (Feb 2019)?
[14:34:03] <mdnavare> Lyude: Yes i agree
[14:34:28] <Lyude> bryce: lemme look...
[14:34:33] <samuelig> bryce, it was Sep.
[14:34:53] <bryce> Lyude, yeah I was wondering similarly, a plan-B as it were
[14:35:16] <Lyude> found it https://www.x.org/wiki/BoardOfDirectors/MeetingSummaries/2019/08-01/
[14:35:43] <anholt> I might need to step away
[14:35:49] <anholt> (kiddo time)
[14:35:51] <Lyude> bryce: mhm, it might be a good idea for us to reach out to other venues pre-emptively just so we're prepared
[14:36:02] <Lyude> anholt: no problem, thanks for coming!
[14:37:07] <hwentlan> we'd have to also look at local organizers since we rely on them a lot to organize the conference
[14:37:43] <Lyude> mhm, any places we can think to reach out to in the mean time?
[14:38:07] <bryce> oh right... we had 2 choices but one withdrew.
[14:38:24] <samuelig> I can ask if Igalia is interested again this year, if you don't mind repeating venue
[14:38:33] <Lyude> samuelig: yeah that would work
[14:38:41] <hwentlan> i think previous hosts would be good candidates for alternatives
[14:38:44] <mdnavare> Lyude: Wasnt the Daqiri sponsored XDC in Austria one of the compelling alternatives?
[14:38:53] <hwentlan> there's also intel finland that hosted before
[14:39:02] <Lyude> mdnavare: yeah, they only dropped out because they couldn't make some guarantees in time
[14:39:09] <Lyude> iirc
[14:39:18] <samuelig> Lyude, right.
[14:39:25] <bryce> a previous host does sound like a sensible choice for an alternate if there's problems.  Will be a known quantity.
[14:40:28] <Lyude> Alright, I guess samuelig will poke igalia then and I'll work on drafting a statement
[14:41:02] <Lyude> Anyone volunteer to talk with the venue organizers for Gdansk ( samuelig?)
[14:41:12] <samuelig> yes, I'll do it.
[14:41:18] <Lyude> cool
[14:41:59] <Lyude> Alright, so coc training - not much to discuss, just wanted to bring this up because I was mostly curious if we thought it would be a good idea to maybe advertise the fact that we offer this elsewhere?
[14:42:31] <Lyude> So far I only really mentioned this on mailing lists, but it seems like it might be a good idea to advertise it on the site somewhere for new projects that start up on fdo/xorg
[14:42:36] <Lyude> anyone have any thoughts on that?
[14:44:45] <bryce> I'd have no problem seeing it mentioned on the website.
[14:45:24] <hwentlan> i think that's a good idea to make new projects aware of it
[14:45:36] <bryce> there's a cost element to the training though, right?
[14:46:23] <Lyude> bryce: yeah but it's not terribly expensive, and even after advertising it on the various MLs we only had two takers
[14:47:31] <Lyude> samuelig, mdnavare, thoughts ^ ?
[14:47:42] <hwentlan> i think current demand isn't so big that cost will be an issue and hopefully providing training like that can help avoid issues
[14:48:22] <Lyude> mhm, I think it does a good job of showing that we're actively making sure that our community is as accepting as we say it is
[14:49:50] <samuelig> +1 to announce it on the website. I think this is very useful for any project.
[14:49:59] <mdnavare> Lyude: Yes I definitely see a big value in the Coc training
[14:50:09] <mdnavare> Lyude: +1 from me as well
[14:50:25] <Lyude> alright cool, anyone up to put it on the website somewhere btw?
[14:54:15] <Lyude> actually, I think I can just volunteer to handle that. shouldn't be too much effort
[14:54:29] <Lyude> anyway, that's everything yall, thanks for coming!
[14:55:08] <bryce> cya, thanks!
[14:55:21] <hwentlan> thanks and see you
[14:55:40] <samuelig> thanks!
[14:57:00] <mdnavare> thanks!

[17:20:28] [disconnected at Thu Jan 16 17:20:28 2020]